The end of 2014 is near … and I wanted to give you guys a list of the Top 20 Pop songs of the year!
I decided to rank these songs by my most liked pop song (1-20) from 2014( Note: I do like all of these songs). All opinions are my own regarding the songs and the artists. This was a hard list to come up with because it is ONLY POP music, and it’s only 20 songs!!! It was also very hard because I am a music lover of mostly ALL GENRES and I didn’t want to include other genres because the list would be insanely long. I feel like this list gives you a good representation of what pop music has been this year! I hope you guys like it!
Definition of Pop Music= pop, popular music, bubble gum music, chart topping music.
1.Taylor Swift- “Blank Space” You are lying to yourself if you don’t like this song. I felt like Blank Space was that songs that put Taylor Swift on the map for Pop music. When I first heard “I Knew You Were Trouble” I was so sure that song was her huge transition into pop music, but it wasn’t. Not that IKYWT isn’t a great pop song, it’s just that Blank Space is a much better pop song. The music video is great and the song is just too awesome. Even if you don’t have a long list of ex-lovers this song can make you belt out singing like if you did…
2. Iggy Azalea ft. Charli XCX- “Fancy ” Who dat? Who dat? I-G-G-Y! This pop song (yes it’s pop, even though Iggy raps) was one of the most played songs on the radio, and I had to place it number two. This song is such a great pop song that makes you want to wear plaid skirts and pretendd like you’re Cher’s Bff from Clueless.
3.Jessie J ft Ariana Grande + Nicki Minaj- “Bang Bang” Can I just say how PROUD I am of Jessie J! I have been following her career since her first album “Who You Are” and she has come along so far since, and it just makes me extremely happy. Jessie has one of those voices that always makes my skin get goosebumps. If you’re not a fan of hers and only like “Bang Bang” or “Domino” I recommend you to listen more of her music! Back to “Bang Bang” HOLY VOCALS! Jesse+ Ariana are total female vocal powerhouses. Nicki Minaj on it made it extra special. Although Demi Lovato recently performed with Jesse and sang Ari’s part and OMG!!!! IT WAS THE BEST THING EVER. I feel like Demi’s voice sounds more mature in the sense of what the song is about.
4.Meghan Trainor- “All About That Bass” It seems like just yesterday I was writing a blog post on “Artist to Watch: Meghan Trainor” I predicted “All About That Bass” was going to get huge, and it did! This song is pretty awesome and catchy.
5.John Legend- “All of Me” This song just makes me want to cry, it’s so beautiful. This was a HUGE hit for John Legend and I’m so glad this song did very well on radio. I still remember jamming to “Green Light” with my friends in Highschool.
6. Pharell Williams-“Happy” This song was everywhere all over the world!!!! It annoyed me most of the time, but it was a pretty great catchy tune. All the videos of people dancing to it was amazing!
7. Ariana Grande ft Iggy Azalea- “Problem” This song put Ariana Grande in the music map in my opinion. “The Way” was a great song, but it wasn’t massively successful like “Problem”. With “Problem” going to number 1 along with “Break Free” I feel like Ari’s superstar status in the pop community is set.
8. Sam Smith- “Stay With Me” It makes me really sad that the United States gets good music so late. U.S doesn’t get with the problem until months or years later. Sam Smith got huge with “Stay With Me” and not “Money On My Mind” which I did love. Anyway this song was huge for him in the U.S and I predict he will win several Grammy’s for this song. YAASSSSS.
9. Idina Menzel- “Let It Go” Let me just say that I am probably one of the few people in the world who hasn’t seen Frozen. I do know the song though, along with the toddlers and tweens! LET IT GO!!!
10. Iggy Azalea ft. Rita Ora-“Black Widow”- It was a huge year for Iggy along with “Fancy”, “Black Widow” was a massive hit in the U.S and it’s such a cool song + video.
- Paramore– “Ain’t It Fun”- I’ve been a long time fan of Paramore and all I can say is that I am SO proud of Hayley, Jeremy and Taylor. Paramore’s best work is in their self-titled album and I’m so happy that “Ain’t It Fun” received the proper recognition this year.
12.Katy Perry ft. Juicy J– “Darkhorse”- I feel like this song along with “Roar” from KP’s album “PRISM” were the only good songs she had to offer. This song was a hit in the beginning of 2014.
- Nicki Mina j-“Anaconda”- Ever since this song came out on radio, you could not get away from hearing it everywhere.
- Nico & Vinz-“Am I Wrong”- This song was EVERYWHERE!!!!
- Magic-“Rude!- Along with Nico & Vinz “Am I Wrong” I feel like both these songs were THEE most OVERPLAYED songs on the radio.
- Ed Sheeran-“Don’t” I remember listening to this song in the mall and some girl singing along to it and telling her friend “who is this? Justin Timberlake? All I thought was GIRL BYE. All I thought was like “NOOOO IT’S ED SHEERAN” Anyway this song was a MAJOR hit for Ed Sheeran in the U.S.
- Coldplay-“A Sky Full of Stars”I LOVE COLDPLAY. How does Chris Martin do it? How? This song was produced by Aviici! The song was a major hit this year, putting Coldplay on pop radio!
- Clean bandit -“Rather Be” Remember how I mentioned the fact that the U.S Is SO behind music!? Clean Bandit’s “Rather Be” was released WAYY before U.S radio or public knew who sang the song. I also remember adding it to my June/July music playlist. Anyway this song was everywhere on U.S radio.
19. Maroon 5-“Animals”-Again, this song was and is everywhere. My little cousin Ryan loves this song!!!
- Selena Gomez-“The Heart Wants What It Wants”I love Selena Gomez! I think she’s so great and talented. I love how raw this song is, and how catchy it is.