Hey guys, before I start off this review I’d like to say that all opinions are my own. If you don’t agree with what I write about certain things it’s okay.
Songs that Stood Out: Blank Space, Bad Blood, Shake It Off, I Wish You Would, Wildest Dreams, Out Of The Woods, Welcome To New York & Style
I will post my favorite lyric from the song in bold!!! 🙂
Okay now let’s begin with the review!!!
1. Welcome to New York-“It’s a new soundtrack I could dance to this beat, beat forevermore
The lights are so bright but they never blind me” This song is absolutely cute, it’s about moving to a new city and not looking back. I think this song is very catchy and it’s definitely a song I can see myself singing to heading to New York. Forget “Empire State of Mind”, New York has a new anthem!
2.Blank Space- “Cause darling I’m a nightmare dressed like a daydream” This’ song was THEE song that put Taylor Swift on the map for pop music. This is the ultimate pop song, it’s catchy it’s sassy and it’s so fun to sing to. Even if you don’t have a “long list of ex-lovers” this song makes you sing like you do have a list. I also feel like with Blank Space, Taylor addressed the rumors being told about her and made the song about how the media is portraying her. I think this song is the best song on the album, and I couldn’t be any happier with the success this song has had, and what it’s done to Taylor’s already incredible career.
3. Style-“You’ve got that long hair slick back, white t-shirt and I got that good girl fate and a tight little skirt” “Style” is a very bubble gum pop song about how two people could never go out of style (relationship wise). It’s a very cute song and I can see the song being in Target/Marshalls/Macy advertisements.
4. Out of the Woods-“The rest of the world was black and white, but we were in screaming color” Okay I’m going to start off saying that I have a love/hate relationship with this song. I am aware that Jack Antonoff co-wrote and produced the song and I’m a HUGE Bleachers fan (I even reviewed Strange Desire and made fun how Bleacher’s album was better than Red) since you know she says “Indie record is much better than mine” idk if ya’ll get it!?! but anyway I just LOVE how the song has Jack in vocals and I also LOVE how the song sounds like a Bleacher’s song (listen to I Wanna Get Better). Sometimes I’m sick of the song because the “Are we outta the woods yet? Are we in the clear yet? part is too annoying and it gets in my head. I’ve read that the song is about her short relationship with Harry Styles from One Direction. I honestly don’t care who her songs are about though. Again, I have a love/hate relationship with this song. If you catch me on a good day, I might be loving this song.
5. All You Had To Do Was Stay-“People like you always want back the love they pushed aside
But people like me are gone forever when you say goodbye” This song is about when someone breaks up with you and then after a while they realize what they lost.
6. Shake It Off- “I go on too many dates, but I can’t make ’em stay” This song like Blank Space is another song that Taylor Swift kind of makes fun of what the media is saying about her. She is making fun of how and what is being portrayed about her. The song is not my favorite from her album, but it’s a pretty catchy tune.
7.I Wish You Would-“You think I’m gonna hate you now ‘Cause you still don’t know what I never said”
This song is about wishing you could go back in time and fix some mistakes. It’s also about wishing you could forget about the past and let that person know that you don’t care about what happened, and wanting to be together with that person again. This song is one of my favorites from the album.
8.Bad Blood-“Band-aids don’t fix bullet holes. You say sorry just for show.If you live like that, you live with ghosts” I have to admit that at first I wasn’t so impressed with the song, but after a while of listening to it back to back you start liking it. In my case, I did not just like it, I loved it. “Bad Blood” is one of my favorites from the album, it’s a VERY relate-able song. This song is about someone doing you wrong and not wanting anything to do with that person . I can relate and I’m sure a lot of people could relate to this song too!!
9. Wildest Dreams-“He’s so tall, and handsome as hell. He’s so bad but he does it so well” This song is about wanting to be remembered. Even if you have to be remembered in dreams.
10.How You Get The Girl-“And then you say I want you for worse or for better I would wait for ever and ever”
I feel like this song describes a very destructive relationship, it describes how the girl leaves and once she is told these sweet things she goes back to him. One of Taylor’s friends comes in mind.
11.This Love-“Been losing grip, on sinking ships you showed up, just in time” This song is a very sweet song describing how good and how bad the love is.
12. I Know Places-“Love’s a fragile little flame, it could burn out” This song describes wanting to be alone with your lover and having privacy in your relationship. She mentions being tracked down by huntes while with someone and I’m guessing that someone is the paparazzi.
13. Clean-“Rain came pouring down when I was drowning,that’s when I could finally breathe” I feel like this song is about finally getting over someone.
Overall If I had to give the album stars out of 5, I would give it a solid 4 . Even with Taylor’s transition into pop music, I feel like she is still that same Taylor Swift (when it comes to her writing). Taylor’s music grew and It’s a tough embrace for many people including myself. I am probably going to get a lot of hate for writing this, but I feel like Taylor wrote better songs when she was sixteen, than now as a 24-year-old. Her songs are good now, but I just feel like her albums like “Fearless” and “Speak Now” were brilliantly written. “1989” is a good album, but I feel like it lacked a little on the songwriting part.There is songs on “1989” who have a specific lyric that just amazes you, but with “Fearless” or “Speak Now” the entire song was written so good. Maybe it’s just me who believes this, I don’t know.
Would I recommend you this album? Maybe. I would just recommend you the songs that stood out the most to me. Then again we all love songs that we relate the most, and maybe some songs that I love you will hate and so on. If you liked Taylor’s past albums and you’re hesitant on this new pop one, I would tell you to give it a chance.
I know this was a long review, and if you went through it all you are amazing and I love you.
What did you think of Taylor’s “1989” album? Do you love/hate it?